Stop the Presses …. If you are a small business you should be thinking … Start the Presses because Press Releases are a great way and often FREE way to promote your business online!
Most small businesses are not aware of the power of an online Press Release or how to use Press Releases to help promote their business. But Press Releases are a vital aspect of your online marketing efforts. Press Releases improve your business’ online visibility, are often picked up by local media groups and create valuable back links to your site.
Use the following tips and let us know the results:
1) Select a Topic for your Press Release - Press Releases can be written about new products or services you are offering, new employees, new locations and trends in your industry. You can also write a Press Release about anniversaries, participation in charitable events, grand openings or other events.
2) Press Release Etiquette – Press Releases should include the following:
- Title and Subtitles
- Date and City of Publication
- Three Paragraphs or More
- About Us Section
- Contact Information
- Links (see #5)
3) Keyword Research – Do keyword research on your industry and be certain to use them in your Title, Subtitle, Release and About Us portions. You can do your keyword research using Google’s FREE adwords tools.
4) Press Release Content – Write in the third person and include quotes from company management. Include factual information; if you are including details of an event such as a grand opening, new location or charitable event, be sure to include the date and the actual location. This will help with geo-targeting. Be certain to proof read your Press Release for grammatical and spelling errors. The Release should be at least three paragraphs.
5) Promote Your Business – Be certain to include your products and services in your Press Release. Include the number of years you have been in business, the business location and the business category in either the Content or the About Us sections.
5) Links - Include links back to your own website and to any product or services pages on your site that are relevant to your Press Release. The best way to build links is to include the link on the text that you are writing about. For example, if you are talking about a new product or service, link the text back to a page on your site that promotes those products/services.
Link back to your Social Marketing pages. If you have built an events page, link back to it. Link back to other sites as well. Once your Press Release is published, be certain to link to it from your Social Marketing pages as well as your website.
If you are writing about a charity, link to that charity. If you are writing about a new product, link back to an authoritative site such as the manufacturer.
Don’t over-do it! As a general rule you should not have more than three links in the Content and one link in the About Us section.
6) Submit Your Release – Submit your Release to a number of FREE sites such as PRLog.org, PressAbout.com, PressMethod.com or PRBuzz.com to name just a few. These FREE sites often distribute your press release to various search engines, RSS feeds and Google and Yahoo news sites. There are a number of affordable Press Release sites as well. Google has a Google News Submit Site and PRWeb.com is still one of the most popular Press Release submission sites.
Local Newspapers often accept free submissions of Press Releases, so notify your local paper when you create a Press Release.
7) Check Your Success – After you have been notified that your Press Release has been accepted, be certain to check its success. You can do this by searching for your keywords, business name and title.
Press Releases are an easy and affordable way to promote your business. While it might seem complicated at first, once you get the hang of it you will find this to become a vital part of your online marketing strategy.
Want more information or help on writing Press Releases? Contact one of our SEO experts at MyLocally.com by emailing us at email@example.com